We've recently made some improvements to our geocoding infrastructure to ensure as many listings as possible are properly geocoded.
The MLS database is a noisy place, and has its share of errors relating to listing locations. Typos, bad data, and other things happen.
We have done a full audit of our infrastructure and made a ton of little fixes that will result in great improvements in our search app:
- Far fewer listings with no map location
- More listings shown on the map and searchable by map/polygon
- No more listings that display in the middle of the ocean
- Better map "positioning" when displaying results on map
- Listings in "new" parts of town will map correctly in our system soon after their locations are known to Google
As of today, we have over 1.5 million listings searchable and 99.9% of them are geocoded.
Keeping it going
We've also added a great deal of internal infrastructure to monitor our geocoding coverage so that we can ensure that we keep up these high levels of excellence in our listing data.